Chris' Special Tie Knot

Chris' Special Tie Knot

Monday, January 13, 2014

Relying on Miracles

Čauko!

Chris, in his apartment
So I'm still here in Banska Bystrica just livin' it up. For anyone who happens to be wondering, this city is a bit smaller than Orem is, in both size and population, so yeah, it's pretty small, but it's full of personality. A little update on the suit, I've decided not to get it, I'll see what I can do when I don't have to worry about lugging an extra suit between every transfer. I can't wait to see how everything here is meant to turn out because, my goodness, the people are just ridiculously kind and amazing and nice and friendly until you start talking about the gospel. Then you've just insulted their very souls. We're teaching this doctor. He was accepting the gospel really well until we told him that we don't baptize babies and then he just flipped out at us. He went to Mass on Sunday and texted us throughout the whole service. He was like, "I feel SO fulfilled right now, your church never fulfilled anyone!," "Look at my preacher, he's so wise!," and just other stuff like that. We were actually getting a kick out of it, especially because we know he's gonna cool down and beg us to come back in a week. He's done this kind of thing before.

Library--where Chris writes emails home
Chris' street in Banska Bystrica
As far as I'm concerned, I am sick and tired of planting seeds. After my trainer and I had our little like re-awakening thing, I'm determined that there's gonna be a General Conference talk about Slovakia sometime soon, and I want to be right in the center of involvement there. I do not care about odds in the slightest, nor do I care about where other missionaries have failed. I wish that people here would stop telling me things like, "well my other companion never did that," or "Another elder tried that once and this happened," my mission is and was always meant to be different than theirs, and I'm ready to succeed, and success in my mind is far from seed planting. The field is not "white, already to harvest" everywhere EXCEPT Slovakia, so I'm going to do my harvesting. There had better be some success in store for me because the Lord knows better than anyone that I'm going to be giving this my absolute all.

Chris and his trainer
I feel so stifled here as far as creativity goes--I swear there's a rule against everything. I really want to change the dynamic of "finding"--make the people come to us so we can automatically sift through those who wouldn't be interested. Apparently, we aren't allowed to do that. We aren't allowed to do any concerts outside of Christmas, and when we tried to get this thing called tabling going, where we just set up a table and wait for people to come to us, we got shot down at the Metsky Urad, so that's not working out, and I just can't think of a good way to make that happen. Any ideas? Anyway, I really am doing wonderful and I'm so excited to finally get the ball rolling so that I can have some real success.

We've been having some REALLY good contacting sessions this week because my trainer and I have started contacting with the attitude of, "I'm not going to find anyone, I'm going to teach everyone." We've found that if you go into it with the attitude of teaching right off the bat instead of basically begging for interest, people listen more often. We've been finding some really cool people who I can't wait to send you baptismal pictures for. But that's pretty much all I have time for this week, Love you all!

Milujem ťa,

Starší Chris Brousseau

No comments:

Post a Comment